PDA

View Full Version : Building an HTML Email with LOTS of vars

jammery2k
12 Aug 2005, 12:33 AM
I am trying to build a HTML email that contains tables of data from a crazy long form. It was originally built in ASP as 2 pages, but our server is going to stop supporting ASP Very soon. therefore I am trying to re-write it in PHP...

Here is an excerpt from the body var Im trying to build.

$body ='<html><body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000<table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="3"><tr bgcolor="#F5F0FF"><td colspan="6"><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serifsize="3" color="#333399"><b>PERSONAL INFORMATION</b></font></td></tr><tr bgcolor="#F5F0FF"> <td width="22%">Last</td> <td width="14%"> $field1 </td>';

I am not sure how to insert this $field1 var without it coming out as flat text not the value. Usually I would use

<?php $_POST['field1'] ?>
right from the form it was submitted from but that wont work in an html tag like im trying to do. ANY Help would be greatful!

trueheart78
15 Aug 2005, 09:26 AM
A few things about working with post variables.

To use $_POST['fieldname'] in a string, you have 3 options:
1) nix the string quotes. The variable is still read when put in double quotes. Single quotes will not output the value like double quotes will.
$output = "Field value is: $_POST[fieldname]";
2) drop out of the string to insert the value.
$output = "Field value is: ".$_POST['fieldname']." other info here";OR
$output = 'Field value is: '.$_POST['fieldname'].' other info here';
3) One other way is to use the extract function. This basically takes the array key, fieldname, and creates a variable from it. This works on the whole array specified, so all $_POST items would be transferred as well.
More info can be found at http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.extract.php
extract($_POST);
$output = "Field value is: $fieldname other info here";