PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice pls.

Html_Headaches
28 Sep 2005, 02:23 PM
Okay I've been attempting to complete a html website for over 6 months now and havent been able to do so. Let me explain. I studied the tutorials at w3schools.com, htmlgoodies etc.. I fully understood and was able to implement everything I studied which was mostly basic html with some advanced tutorials on tables etc. So I immediately I made a basic text site and that was no prob. The problem set in when I decided I wanted to make a clan site for a game I played. At first design seemed to go fine with what I had adsorbed from these sites but then I came across a few stumbling blocks. First one was I tried to use all frames to make a site with a top header graphic that spanned the entire top of the page, a sidebar to the left, and a main body area to the right. What a nightmare and mistake that was. Then I learned that building a site with tables is far easier for a beginner. So I started to experiment with tables, at one point I managed to get a nice site layout with a 745x600 table setup that would expand properly in any resolution. At that point I thought things were good to go, I had my graphics designed, the general layout and background finished. Then I hit a block again and this is where I am today, I got the site fully layed out, graphics in place everything good to go, then I tried to add content to the main area's, add the sidebar buttons etc. I realised I couldnt get anything inside these tables to place where I wanted them to go. I ended up with the layout being incased in another table, so tables inside 1 big table. Am I doing something wrong? Should I not use tables for the layout? one thing I forgot to mention is that I want the entire layout centered in the screen and able to resize to any resolution, if anyone can offer any assistance I would be so appreciative because I feel I am on the brink of being able to complete a site but a few minor prob easily fixed issues are stopping me from being able to do so and frustrating me to no end. I have had many people try to offer advice towards it but none of the options they provided seemed viable for what I am aiming for. Thank you for anyone who took the time to read this.

DDAY
28 Sep 2005, 04:22 PM
Am I doing something wrong? Should I not use tables for the layout? one thing I forgot to mention is that I want the entire layout centered in the screen and able to resize to any resolution, if anyone can offer any assistance I would be so appreciative because I feel I am on the brink of being able to complete a site but a few minor prob easily fixed issues are stopping me from being able to do so and frustrating me to no end.

It would be nice to see a URL of the site your are having problems with, but...

I am very old school and still use tables for design and I often end up with several tables nested inside other tables. You have to do this to achieve some design options.

So go ahead and use all the tables you need. And feel free to contact me if you would like me to take a look at your code.