PDA

View Full Version : help quote a price! (thanks)

franz15
26 Oct 2005, 03:38 PM
Have a new project lined up. It would involve transferring a really old database to a new MySQL database and changing the tables a bit to fit the new system. Basically, the system would manage jobs the company has, and each employee of the company would be able to login and change the status of the jobs or change information about it. The system would manage logins for each of the employees and allow them to edit their jobs only, or have an administrator reassign jobs to different employees.

Also, standard status reports would be generated to show all teh employees and all their open jobs, and the current status of each of them. A customized search engine to search closed, active, etc. jobs would be needed.

All of this is well within my abilities, and I have done similar things before. Definitely just an intermediate level PHP MySQL project, the only difference is I have only ever done hourly before, so I am not sure even what range to price it at a flat rate.

Rincewind
31 Oct 2005, 12:35 PM
Guess how long it will take, multipy by your hourly rate. Then double it to account for the risk of guessing wrong. Then double again for what you would get as an employee cause you have to include overheads like rent rates light heat and income tax that are normally deducted form your pay before you get it.

E.g. If you normally get $10 per hour (imaginarry number) as an employee and your offered a relance job that will take an estimated 10 hours, then you bill $400. About half will go on expenses, then you have a error margin. At the end when you calculate what you actually got in $/h including the real overrun in time, it's probably gona be close to the $10.