PDA

View Full Version : A problematic quirk

rschley
04 Nov 2005, 03:05 PM
Ok, I have been working on this site on and off for some time now, and I have finally started to make some progress as it is a bit of a learning curve because I am new to php/mysql. But, fortunately, that isn't giving me trouble anymore.

What I have is a loop that fetches rows of articles from a database, and displays them as inside div (inside a div inside a table) inside of the main table. This is a really sloppy aproach, I know... it is only temporary.

The problem arises I think because the elements are positioned relatively inside of the main table which has an undefined height (to allow for different sized/quantity of articles) In firefox, and netscape it displays just like it should. However, in safari 1.3.1, the main table is not tall enough, so the middle of the third article (in my less than fullsized browswer window) gets cut off about half way. There is a similar but less severe problem in IE6 on pc. About 20 pixels are being cut off the bottom of the page there.

I am guessing there is some little trick of organization with such a complicated nesting of divs and tables. probably overly complicated, but, like I said... temporary, as the site is far from completed.

if you would like to take a gander, you can shoot on over to www.hostsurge.com/template.php

Check it out with a few different browsers, and you should see the page height is rendered differently in each.

I am using XHTML 1.0 Strict, and it validates, so it should be free of stupid bugs, maybe knows some trick or hack that I don't.

Thanks for the help

rschley
04 Nov 2005, 04:49 PM
I figured it out, nevermind. I just had to change how I was thinking about the formating, instead of using relative positioning, I sort of embraced the table and made each new entry appear in it's own row, with a specific cell padding, to get the spacing that I wanted. Works great now in FF, IE, and Safari