PDA

View Full Version : PHP MySql

phouse
06 Nov 2005, 11:37 AM
I've decided to use PHP 4.1.1 and MySql to develop my site running on Tomcat using Microsoft-IIS/6.0, the latter details being meaningless to me as i haven't a clue what that does or doesn't mean. Also, i'm using ADOdb to talk to MySql and any existing customer database ii may have to deal with in the future.
Anyway, i have no real problems with the coding, i've taken a procedural approach despite this version of PHP supporting modularisation. Although my coding is primitive by experienced developers standards it is suprisingly brief and functions adequately.
My concern now is how and where my set-up will deal with multiple concurrent user requests which i assume is thread handling. I'm also concerned about bottlenecking of the database and Tomcats capabilities (would Apache be better). Finally, if by some miracle anything i produce needs scaling what support does my set provide. Excuse the volume of questions but i'm a bit of a novice in at the deep end.

Rincewind
06 Nov 2005, 06:20 PM
I've decided to use PHP 4.1.1 and MySql to develop my site running on Tomcat using Microsoft-IIS/6.0, the latter details being meaningless to me as i haven't a clue what that does or doesn't mea
That's a taken considering you only need Tomcat to run JSP pages. So if you are using PHP then you are not using Tomcat. As for MS-IIS, that's Microsofts web server software. IIS is the equivelent to Apache, but for running on windows. Personally I'd be on linux and apache rather than windows and IIS. I think the LAMP format is more stable and faster performance. Also, I'm a skin flint Scot and can't be having with paying for liciences if I don't need to.

The database engine will handle may concurrent requrest. The system would only have a problem if you were using Access for the database. But any proper SQL is designed to handle such a enviroment. You will have to program against concurrent edits (two users altering the same record at the same time, one overwrites the other) but no concurrent selects (readers).

As for scalling, mysql can be clustered if needed. The server aps you name can all be scalled as required.