PDA

View Full Version : Javascript Line Breaks causing error?

InVaZ
13 Nov 2005, 08:04 PM
I'm coding a jsp page that checks for cookies and tries to run a javascript function when it detects that a certain cookie exists. I did some debugging and find that the session and cookie and be extracted and displays correctly. However, when I try to test the web page on my browser, the function isn't called and the bottom left displays an error:

Line: 31
Char: 2
Error: Object Expected
Code: 0

My java script codes are as follows:

<script>

function disp_confirm()
{
var choice=confirm("You have an existing bookmark." + '\n' + "Do you want to load it?")
if (choice==true)
{
testwindow = window.open ("<%if(myCookie==null) { out.println(container); } else { out.println(myCookie.getValue()); }%>", "_blank","location=0,status=0,scrollbars=0,width=1020,height=650");
testwindow.moveTo(45,110);
}
else
{

}
}
</script>

The html source file looks like this:

function disp_confirm()
{
var choice=confirm("You have an existing bookmark." + '\n' + "Do you want to load it?")
if (choice==true)
{
testwindow = window.open ("home.jsp
", "_blank","location=0,status=0,scrollbars=0,width=1020,height=650");
}
else
{

}
}
</script>

I believe the error is caused by the line break in the code. However, I do not know how to rectify the problem. Anyone with help is greatly appreciated.

The whole jsp page code for reference:

<%@ page language="java" import="java.util.*"%>
<%

String LoginID = request.getParameter("id");
if(LoginID == null)
{
response.sendRedirect("login.jsp");
}
else
{
session.setAttribute("Current", LoginID);
out.println(LoginID);
out.println(session.getAttribute("Current"));
}

String cookieName = LoginID;
Cookie cookies[] = request.getCookies();
Cookie myCookie = null;
String container = "";

if (cookies != null)
{
for (int i = 0; i < cookies.length; i++)
{
out.println(cookies[i].getValue());
if (cookies [i].getName().equals (cookieName))
{
myCookie = cookies[i];
out.println(myCookie.getValue());
break;
}
}
}
else
{
myCookie = null;
}

%>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
<title>CRIMES-2 Training</title>
<script>

function disp_confirm()
{
if (choice==true)
{
testwindow = window.open ("<%if(myCookie==null) { out.println(container); } else { out.println(myCookie.getValue()); }%>", "_blank","location=0,status=0,scrollbars=0,width=1020,height=650");
}
else
{

}
}
</script>
</head>

<% if(myCookie==null)
{
%>
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF">
<%
}

else
{
%>
<body onload="javascript: disp_confirm()" bgcolor="green">
<% } %>

<!--url's used in the movie-->
<!--text used in the movie-->
<!-- saved from url=(0013)about:internet -->

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="100%" height="100%" id="drag menu2" align="middle">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
<param name="movie" value="dragmenu.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="dragmenu.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="800" height="600" name="drag menu2" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />

</object>
</body>
</html>

Rambo Tribble
14 Dec 2005, 08:43 AM
The line break is being introduced by your server side script. It is there that you will need to modify the input to eliminate the extra tabbed spacing that is forcing a line break. You can have line breaks in JavaScript by using the concatenation operator, the plus. For example:

if(some.condition==some.other.condition) alert('now is the time for all' +
'good men to come to the aid . . .');