PDA

View Full Version : PHP setup

Mebailey
27 Jan 2006, 03:19 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty much just starting out, learning PHP. I've got a few text books and downloaded plenty of free software from the internet. But I’m having great difficulty getting it set up to use, and learning to use it.

I did read through the manual for PHP 5.1.2 to do a manual install. But things got quite complicated so I opted to try a package that would install the web-server and everything including Mysql. I've used one called Phperl. But there is little documentation and I'm not really finding out what I need to from tutorials on the web and books.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? There must be some useful info out there that I'm missing!?

Thanks

Michael

siddarth
27 Jan 2006, 08:19 PM
Hi,

I'm pretty much just starting out, learning PHP. I've got a few text books and downloaded plenty of free software from the internet. But I’m having great difficulty getting it set up to use, and learning to use it.

I did read through the manual for PHP 5.1.2 to do a manual install. But things got quite complicated so I opted to try a package that would install the web-server and everything including Mysql. I've used one called Phperl. But there is little documentation and I'm not really finding out what I need to from tutorials on the web and books.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? There must be some useful info out there that I'm missing!?

Thanks

Michael

If you are workin on windows, you could download XAMPP, its free .
more info and download from www.apachefriends.org
its got just about everything you need to build dynamic websites at home.
CGI, PHP, MySQL, SSI.. are a few. just place your php documents in the htdocs folder and you are ready to go!
it also comes with phpmyadmin. to get a full documentation, "after" installing the software, start apache ( from the software's control panel ) and type in
http://localhost or http://127.0.0.1 in your browser's address bar.

On linux (I use RedHat 9.0), its pretty easy..since everything is pre-installed
cheers..