PDA

View Full Version : My new Forum!

farooqaaa
25 Feb 2006, 11:03 PM
Hello,

I have just started my new forum:-
http://www.urtutorials.com/forum :)

And i need suggetions to improve it, and i need members so can u guys help me get members. :rolleyes:

Thanks

David Bowley
27 Feb 2006, 06:39 AM
There's nothing wrong really that I can with the design of the forum. But I will give you some helpful advice - you are stepping into a very big pond with this forum, you have a lot of work to do to get this going. If you're up for it then read on, otherwise just quit while you're ahead and don't waste any of your time.

Ok, so you want to start a forum, basically it's a community. You're not really in small niche, the tutorials sector is kinda big so you have massive amounts of competition. What makes your site stand out from all the other tutorial sites? What makes it special? You need a unique selling point.

At the moment all I can see if a whole load of empty sub forums, and to be honest it doesn't encourage me to post. You need people to make the forum bigger, but it needs to be bigger to get the people. It's all very well saying you want us guys to help you get members but I can't really see a terrifically good reason to do this as of yet. You are gonna have to bring all these people in, and you want real members - people that will stay for what they can give and not just what they can get out of it. You need to make community.

I won't lie to you - it could take years for the forum you are working on to get to the popularity that even WDF is at, and it's not the most popular forum in it's field. It's one of the most challenging things to do, but yet worth it if you pull it off. The question you need to ask yourself is this: are you in it for the long haul? Or are you going to get bored in a few months and just leave it.

If you want to get into building communities I suggest you start with something you are really passionate about - a hobby of some sort. If making tutorials really is your passion then so be it, but you need something that'll interest in you in the long hours you spend all alone in the forum. Furthermore you really could do with being in an area where there isn't so much competition, you don't really stand a chance against the already established giants.