PDA

View Full Version : Client edit basic table in browser

AusRod
22 May 2006, 11:29 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before, but ive spent endless hours trying to achieve as follows and any help would be appreciated.

I have a website I have done for a person i work for.
They are requesting that the client who logs in to the relevant sections can edit a word document (in table form) in browser, and upload/update it there.
I already have it so they need password to get to thier respective tables.

I know I can get them to send updated word file to me and I can upload it but thats not what is wanted.

Im not asking for step by step instructions but I want it kept very simple without paying hundreds of dollars for software to achieve this. (Word type editors as code u insert)

Firstly, can it be done in Frontpage, as that is what i am most familiar with.
If not, can it be done in macromedia as i have that too.

Just a few keywords to get me on track would be great.
Or a link describing this, anything.

Thankyou.

Rincewind
24 May 2006, 11:52 AM
Ditch word. KISS. Use plain text. Let the user update the page in exactly the same way as you update new posts in this forum. The type into a box on the page (after loggin in), that from sends to a script that updates the database. The page is created out of the database infromation by another script each time someone views it. A little php. A little MySQL.

No frontpage can't do this.
Yes dreamweaver can but it's clunky and really there is an easier way.

Learn just a little php and mysql. Use a text editor to write your script. We're not talking about huge amounts of code. Just the basics. Cost $0.