PDA

View Full Version : Book suggestions?

Nove
17 Jul 2006, 02:40 PM
I would like to purchase some good reference and learning books pertaining to html/css/javascript, web design, and server-side scripts. I'm experimenting with an apache server on a home computer right now, and I"m running php5. Are there any other scripts I should be looking at?

Also, I would like these books to be directed towards competent programmers, not beginners. I understand the basics of html, tables, forms, etc, I just want to get into advanced design elements so I can create and design proper web sites. A book on databases like mysql would probably be useful too.

Can anyone recommend me some good books? Thanks.

alvo
17 Jul 2006, 07:35 PM
This probably isn't what you had in mind, but is perhaps the best overall resource book I know of for building web sites. Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug. It's a tome on useability and making websites that wook for the people that visit them. It's a concise work and an easy read and something that will make you say to yourself, "Of course!..." when he covers many of the aspects of web site design. Info on the book and a sample chapter at http://www.sensible.com/