PDA

View Full Version : new site, mailing list - security issues?

kittykatie
22 Jul 2006, 05:18 AM
I've run a few websites for a couple years- mostly to serve as storage and e-mail separation. A friend also hosts their osC site on my account. Everything has always gone fine, except that the spam filter sucks, and I had to turn it off because we were losing messages and didn't know it.

Anyways, I've roped myself into a project, and it means I'm going to be running a 'real' website, with much more traffic, and a few mailing lists. HostPC normally leaves safe mode on, but I had to ask them to turn it off to get everything working. I'm using phpList, if that matters.

Anyway, I'm a little concerned about security. It's a political site, and it's totally conceivable that the opponant's supporters will take advantage of any big gaping holes, and less possible that they will look for littler ones. So, am I leaving anything wide open? Before the site goes public, I'm going to check my permissions settings on everything, but I don't know what else I ought to be doing. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!