PDA

View Full Version : iCab for Mac OS 9

gnubler
18 Aug 2006, 01:50 AM
Version 3.0.3 has just been released this month - any users out there running it on OS9? How do you rate its support for CSS? Is there a better "modern" browser that runs on older operating systems?

Why do I care? I'm presently developing a site for a company - all valid XHTML/CSS. The site tests fine across the line in all current browsers Win & Mac - but not Mac IE. While I otherwise would not care about Mac IE, this company's owners - the ones who hired me and are paying me - are both still happily plugging away on OS9 computers using IE and have no reason or interest to upgrade their machines. It will be rather ridiculous when they go try to browse their own website and they can't and see it all broken up.

I've been reading positive things about iCab and I'm going to check it out over the weekend and then install it on their computers - redirect their "Browse the Internet" alias sitting on the desktop to launch iCab instead of IE - they'll never know the difference (not very web-savvy people).

Any pros/cons for iCab?

gnubler
20 Aug 2006, 09:29 PM
Hey - I want to give two thumbs up for iCab. I did indeed install this on two older Macs running OS9 and used it to browse a few websites with CSS-layouts and wow what a difference as compared to Mac IE5. Anyone struggling with an older Mac system, try out this browser instead:

http://www.icab.de/