PDA

View Full Version : Limiting Access (not a password question)

gbntpilot
04 Oct 2006, 02:19 AM
Hi all... I'm new to the forums. I've got enough web design skills to set up nice HTML pages, and integrate scripts that other people write (no java, php, or asp writing skills myself).

My question is this: Is there a way to keep a page from loading unless it was linked to by another page on my site? I'm making a site right now that has three forms, on three consecutive pages, which have to be filled out in order, and are sent to different email addresses (using PHP scripts). Submitting form 1 sends the data, and then takes the user to form 2, etc. So you can see, I want people to start in a certain place and only go in a certain order. How can I prevent users from being able to go directly to form 2 or 3 (if they found those pages through a search engine, or some sort of other direct link).

Thanks!!!

Fantasiser
04 Oct 2006, 09:25 AM
The way i would do it is with a script (i would use ASP because i dont know PHP). In this script it would be a validation, where if the first page has not been completed (the form has not been filled out) it displays an error or an unauthorized or whatever you want, and displays a link stating, please go here to fill out there form, i would also do this for the last page too, so it basically states, if for 1 is not filled out, dont display form 2 or 3, if form 2 is not filled out, dont display form 3, that kind of thing....

I hope you understood that, sometimes i can go on big rants about nothing.

Good luck ;)