PDA

View Full Version : Beginner questions

adeelahmed
19 Oct 2006, 12:42 PM
Hello
i am a beginner in the field of web designing, nowadays i have started learning HTML by myself. i have some questions, (1) can i be an skillful web designer without any prior programming knowledge. (2) Is it necessary to take admission in any center or learn from any teacher about the basics of website desigining? Can't i do it by learning myself from online tutorials such as www.w3schools.com?(3)how should i start to learn and which tools to use?
i need advice from u peoples?

Thanks

bjk2007
19 Oct 2006, 03:45 PM
(1) can i be an skillful web designer without any prior programming knowledge.
Of course. All of us were beginners at one time or another. HTML was the first coding experience I ever had, and within a year I made it to a national web design competition.

(2) Is it necessary to take admission in any center or learn from any teacher about the basics of website desigining? Can't i do it by learning myself from online tutorials such as www.w3schools.com?
Having a teacher can help, but you don't have to learn from one. I know someone who I consider an expert at most areas of computing, especially coding, who is almost entirely self-taught.
However, I would recommend you have some kind of guide. W3Schools isn't bad, but when I tried learning javascript from there I found out I really didn't learn too much. I started learning HTML from a CIW Foundations manual and then continued learning through experience. Get a good general base and build up from there. Practice makes perfect.

(3)how should i start to learn and which tools to use?
Like I said, find some resource to learn the basics from. Then find yourself a project and build from there. As for the tools, you need some kind of text editor. There's some notepad purists out there, but I find that to be pretty inefficient. If you want to go commercial, get Macromedia Dreamweaver, but that's expensive. Some free Windows alternatives are HAPedit (which I lost my liking for) and EditPad. Do a google search to find them. Unlike notepad, all these color your code for you, making it far easier to spot errors. I would recommend using Dreamweaver or EditPad unless someone has something way better that I don't know about. In that case, let us know.

i need advice from u peoples?
Anytime. People will be glad to help you throughout the whole process.