PDA

View Full Version : Changing menu system into flash

JonathanEngr
04 Jan 2007, 08:22 AM
I'm very much a newbie in web design, and was thrust into it unwillingly to be quite honest.

In short, we paid to have a website created, and the developer moved out of the country. I've actually enjoyed tinkering and doing some minor modifications with Dreamweaver, but our site is getting so full of information the existing menu system is no longer viable. I'd like to replace the menu with a drop-down flash menu, and have been looking at buying one of the "easy to create" flash menu programs since flash is totally foreign to me. I've downloaded a demo of one of the programs and have developed a menu that I like quite a bit, but I'm clueless on how to insert it into my website. I've created a copy of my homepage to tinker with, and I've tried inserting the flash in many different ways. The graphics on the site are "chopped up" and consist of numerous little frames, and when I insert the flash anywhere it messes up the page formatting *terribly*. I've tried to find a way to simply place the flash OVER the existing graphics, etc., with no luck.

Lastly, I can't figure out the "preview in browser" option in dreamweaver. When I preview a page in any of the browsers I own it looks horrible--the fonts are messed up, margins aren't correct, etc. However, if I save the page to my remote site and view it there with the same browser it looks terrific. Why does it look so different? It seems to make the "preview in browser" option useless.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

JonathanEngr
04 Jan 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm removing my message here since the links changed. Thanks for everyone's help!