PDA

View Full Version : Architecture of a simple website

d31qmg
10 Jan 2007, 09:31 AM
Hi

I am hoping to create a fairly small site where users can register/login and edit details about themselves, mainly to develop my own skills. i don't really know the architecture needed to both create logins and hold/display their information i.e., what languages/devices do i need to use and which ones go together/how? HTML/JavaScript/PHP, databases.... i'm looking for quite a high-level answer.

Thanks

jeffomac
10 Jan 2007, 02:24 PM
Hi

I am hoping to create a fairly small site where users can register/login and edit details about themselves, mainly to develop my own skills. i don't really know the architecture needed to both create logins and hold/display their information i.e., what languages/devices do i need to use and which ones go together/how? HTML/JavaScript/PHP, databases.... i'm looking for quite a high-level answer.

Thanks

You need a content management system. There are tons to choose from. They *all* have at least login/profile functionality.

There are lots of free/opensource CMS's available and then there are also plenty of paid/subscription based software services for this.

I think the majority of the open source projects are in php and use mysql. The open source community seems to drive all the innovation taking place on the web... and a really large open source community uses the LAMP platform. So you might want to look into some of that a bit more.

I'd suggest going over to http://opensourcecms.com/ and poke around with some of their demos. If you find something you like, it's just a matter of installing it on your web server and configuring the database and designing the theme.

If you need additional functionality that's not offered "out of the box" then you can hire a developer (that is part of that cms community) to create a plugin or module to do the specific task you need.

hope that helps.
-Jeff