PDA

View Full Version : searchable form/database

kennynah
15 Jan 2007, 10:15 AM
Hi all,

I have been trying to figure this out for a long time but am unable to find any answers.

As I am sure many of you are familiar with real estate websites in which property buyers and sellers can post their own buy/sell ads (complete with pictures, etc), and also for potential property buyers/sellers to search for and view these ads.

I recognize that there are 2 aspects to this project.

1) Creating a database that property buyers/seller can post their "wanted" ads in.

2) Creating a search form on which any potential property buyer/seller can click on various form options (that indicate which sort of property, price range, district, etc), click "submit", and be able to view a sorted list of properties possessing characteristics according to the searcher's selected search options.

Also, will it be difficult (or impossible) to add in a discussion forum to my website, seeing as how a discussion forum will also need to utilize a database. It wouldn't be the same database as the "wanted" ads" now, would it?

bjk2007
16 Jan 2007, 02:01 PM
Hi all,

I have been trying to figure this out for a long time but am unable to find any answers.

As I am sure many of you are familiar with real estate websites in which property buyers and sellers can post their own buy/sell ads (complete with pictures, etc), and also for potential property buyers/sellers to search for and view these ads.

I recognize that there are 2 aspects to this project.

1) Creating a database that property buyers/seller can post their "wanted" ads in.

2) Creating a search form on which any potential property buyer/seller can click on various form options (that indicate which sort of property, price range, district, etc), click "submit", and be able to view a sorted list of properties possessing characteristics according to the searcher's selected search options.

Also, will it be difficult (or impossible) to add in a discussion forum to my website, seeing as how a discussion forum will also need to utilize a database. It wouldn't be the same database as the "wanted" ads" now, would it?
The 2 options you gave are basically the same thing. To store this large of an amount of data, you would definitely want to use a database to store it all. You could have a submission form for adding properties and then another form for viewing the information in the database. This would probably require custom scripting (PHP, ASP, etc.) and the use of SQL for performing queries.

You can easily integrate a forum through the use of commercial or free scripts out there. phpBB is my favorite; it's simple, free, good-quality, and open source. Go to www.phpbb.com for details.