PDA

View Full Version : typical pricing for a web job

iDoof
17 Jan 2007, 08:40 PM
Hi, I hope I'm posting in the right section (please kindly point me in the right direction if not).

I'm doing my first professional web job, designing and constructing a local law firm's website. What is the typical pricing for this type of job? I'm a junior in college, and have extensive experience working with my university's department website. So I have professional-level experience, and at the risk of sounding arrogant, I am good at what I do.

I'm thinking an hourly rate..(~$25/hr?). Or should I go with a flat rate?

Thanks a lot.

alvo
18 Jan 2007, 02:08 AM
I charge a flat fee for creative work and hourly for everything else. My thinking on this is that you might come up with the perfect idea for building a site right off one time and then the next it might take you several times longer and you may still not have as good an idea as the one before. If you are charging by the hour the better idea in this case would be much less expensive than the lesser idea. After the creative part is done however, hourly is the way to go as what needs to go into the specific pages and scripting is no longer based on abstract ideas, but labor. Charging by the hour doesn't mean you can't give an estimate of the total cost, but does mean that client changes can be incorporated in the charges without having to explain how a set price now needs to be raised.