PDA

View Full Version : My "Add A Site" Link Is Getting Bombarded With SPAM!!

lavondaljt
22 Jan 2007, 11:15 AM
I'm in real trouble here guys......I've gotten over 500 add a site request from "spammers" in the last week and It's gotta stop. Can someone tell me how I can fix my link so that when they click on it, they are taken to their default mail client to create an email with their site request info in it......

This is the only way I can think of that might discourage them from sending those "nasty request".

If you know of another way, please let me know.

Thanks
Lavonda

jeffomac
22 Jan 2007, 07:40 PM
I noticed that you're sending your form to a CGI "/v-cgi/forms.cgi".
I'm guessing that is some kind of simple form-mail script.
You may want to check a few things...
Make sure that you have a "REFERRER" variable set in that script that will keep people from submitting it remotely.
If a spammer finds an "open" hole like that, they can essentially fire off a bizillion spammer messages without even visiting your site. Your forms.cgi script could be the destination of some kind of bot the is running on auto-pilot.

So... def check that!

Also... you could look into adding one of those things that requires users to enter a code that is an image... I forgot what they're called but you see them on a lot of forms these days to cut down on spamming since it takes an actual human to read the image and enter the code into the form... without the proper code the form doesn't submit.

May help....

Also... (lastly) make those fields required. I went over to your site and just pressed Submit and it took me to the thank you page. If your fields were required it may cut down on random people just going over there and pressing submit like I just did. :) (sorry)

anyway, hope those suggestions helped.
-Jeff