PDA

View Full Version : Favicon not displaying...

mickapoo
27 Jan 2007, 04:21 PM
I have reviewed several sites on creating and adding favicons to one's website. I seem to have followed the rules, but I still can't get it to display. My website is www.find-my-plane.com. This is what i have in the <head> tags:
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">

Also, even if I save my site as a favorite, it still does not display. Thank you.

Wickham
28 Jan 2007, 01:36 AM
IE6 and IE7 both have well known problems showing favicons, just google favicons IE6 IE7 and you will come across lots of methods to make the favicon show but you will probably find that the method worked for someone else but not for you!

You have the link as href="/favicon.ico" when it should be either href="../favicon.ico" if the favicon file is in the root directory (the main one before your subdirectories) or href="favicon.ico" if it is in the same directory as your page file.

I would recommend putting the favicon.ico image in the root directory and also the same directory as the page. IE is supposed to look automatically in the root directory whether you have the code in the head or not and then also putting the favicon.ico in the same directory as the page file and having the link as href="favicon.ico". If you still can't get it to work put the link as an external url href="http://www.find-my-plane.com/favicon.ico" .

If you have IE7 the favicon should show in the address bar and tab immediately but only appears in the favorites list after you have set the favorit and clicked on the favorit a few times to open the page.

If you have IE6 it will not show in the address bar or the favorits list until you have set the favorite and used it a few times.

See http://www.wickham43.supanet.com/tutorial/specialeffects.html#favicons and read the comments at the bottom re deleting the favorit, clearing History and clearing cache because you want IE to start again.

Note: your favicon does show in my IE7 address bar and tab so the problem is probably that your IE needs a clean up as described above; and change the favicon link.