PDA

View Full Version : Hiden Text?

ajtallin
15 Feb 2007, 10:19 PM
Good Evening All,

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupfaq.mspx

If you click on the link above, you'll have an idea of what I am trying to achieve on my website. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get the effect/behavior that is linked with the questions on this Microsoft page? What I'm looking for is how to create text that when clicked expands or shows text and when clicked again hides the text like with the Q&A throughout the web page link above? I'm using Dreamweaver 8 to design the site and would really appreciate any feedback or info anyone may be able to give to me. Thanks in advance! Have a great night!

AJ

Wickham
16 Feb 2007, 01:51 AM
There's an emormous amount of javascript on the MS page, like the first part of FAQs:-
<h3 style="padding-top:11px;">Recent FAQs</h3><table class="QandAEntry" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr valign="top" style="padding:0px 0px 7px 0px;" id="title11"><td align="left" class="dropCapQ" nowrap="true"><a href="javascript:toggleQuestion('title11', 'question11', 'answer11')">Q.</a></td><td class="titleBlock"><a href="javascript:toggleQuestion('title11', 'question11', 'answer11')">How can I undo a change made by Microsoft Update? Should I continue to install all the Critical Updates, even if I'm not sure I need them?</a></td></tr><tr valign="top" style="padding-top:3px;" id="answer11"><td align="left" class="dropCapA" nowrap="true">A.</td><td class="ABlock"><p>Generally, Microsoft Update should not harm your system.......

In addition there is javascript script code to make it work.

You can do something similar with pure CSS which is simpler but works on hover so the dropdown message disappears when the mouse is removed. You could adapt any dropdown menu example to have just one wide dropdown box. See
http://www.wickham43.supanet.com/tutorial/dropdownmenus.html

There is a pure CSS dropdown method which holds the dropdown text when clicked but I can't find an example at the moment. Pilotdesigns showed one on this board a few months ago.