PDA

View Full Version : Opensource code question

tricknick
01 Mar 2007, 08:11 AM
I have found a number of scripts that are made in opensource environments / could be labelled as "copyleft" as some ppl refer to it as.

I want to rebrand and install these scripts on my website so that my visitors can use the features themselves.

Is this legal/possible to do?

bjk2007
01 Mar 2007, 08:43 AM
I don't see a reason why you would want to rebrand them unless you want to give the impression that this is your work. Installing them is one thing, but taking the credit away from the developers is a serious slap in their face.
The major factor in whether it is legal to rebrand them is the license under which they are released. Common licenses for web based scripts include the GPL, LGPL, and creative commons. You would have to examine the license carefully to see if it allows taking away credit or not.
However, if you are going to create a modification of the script and extend its capabilities, licenses like the GPL are very clear that you do have the permission to do this as long as you adhere to the conditions they list.
My Advice: If you're not modifying the scripts at all, don't rename them. You'll be getting into too many complications. If you're set on doing this, then examine the license for the scripts carefully before hand.