PDA

View Full Version : Two Beginners Questions

Dobbs123
06 Mar 2007, 11:04 AM
Hi all. I am fairly new at website devcelopment and am hoping someone can answer two questions I have.

1. How do I add comment boxes to my website? I will be running news stories and interviews on my site and I want to give people the oppurtunity to comment on what they read. I dont intend to have a log-in feature on my website so what would be the best way to allow my readers to add comments and and respond to those comments under my news stories?

2. How do I setup RSS feeds with my website? By this I don't mean how do I make my site an RSS feed, but rather how do I take RSS's from other sites and incorporate them into mine? Do I want to subscribe to RSS feeds and bring them to my hard drive or save them directly to my site? I want to filter what headlines from my RSS feeds will appear on my site so where should I put it and what is the best way to do so?

Thank You All in Advance

bjk2007
11 Mar 2007, 04:06 PM
1. You need a server side script for leaving comments. You should be able to find one on the internet somewhere; most of them should be pretty easy to use. If not I have a rough one that I wrote and could give you if you really wanted it.

2. To include an RSS feed from another site into your site you will need another server side script to access the file and interpret it. Again, google it and you shouldn't have any trouble finding one that isn't too hard to use. You will set it up to read the feed directly from the main RSS file, so saving one won't be necessary and is a bad idea since it will allow it to become out of date. However, filtering for headlines is very limited and can only be done by very specific methods, like a headline containing the string "heart". Plus you might need to do a little bit of custom scripting to do this.