PDA

View Full Version : Information Needed for Web Design

dboyer
08 Mar 2007, 04:21 PM
I'm trying to determine what I need for a website I'm interested in putting up. I have some very basic web design experience, and currently am the webmaster of a Zencart store for my employer's company.

I have general, basic knowledge of what's out there in the form of websites, intro pages, forum software, etc. but can't really decipher what I need to do what I want to do.

I'm interested in putting together a free, interest/informational site where users will join and share testiomonial-like information and opinions. I know some of my basic options are to use:
- forum software only
- HTML or Flash intro/home page that leads into forum software and or other pages.
- HTML/Flash (or other) website only. This is where I need help. I'd really prefer to have this information just listed on a page for that particular category once they fill out a short form, poll and/or rating. But I'm not sure how or what would do that. In essence I'm trying to figure out how "custom" this idea is.

I know this will probably generate as many questions as answers. Feel free to ask away if needed.

Once I know what I need then I can go looking for someone to help me with it.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Jason
10 Mar 2007, 08:15 PM
but can't really decipher what I need to do what I want to do.

What exactly do you want the website for? You say...

I'm interested in putting together a free, interest/informational site where users will join and share testiomonial-like information and opinions.

It would be better if you say in regards to what. Also if you read your post you do not ask anything in particular. To be frank you would be better to hire a web designer/developer as opposed to making it yourself if you do not know much about php etc.

As for flash vs HTML, Flash is brilliant for visual elements. What i mean for this is if you find a brilliant image that lacks something small. With flash you could add snow fall that brings it to life. This is what flash excels at. Making whole sites from Flash in my opinion is just flawed. HTML/CSS/PHP >>>>> FLASH.

Tell us what you want to make, or PM me if you would rather the world didn't know your idea. I can give you some advice on how you go about making whatever it is you want to make. Your thread doesn't specify any particular question. Till you ask one people will find it hard to answer your thread.