PDA

View Full Version : Help with search engine results

connman199
09 Apr 2007, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty new to web design, I have three published right now, but I need some help with understanding how to get better results in search engines. the websites are www.bigminibenefit.com, www.teambabytrap.com, and www.atkinsbrosracing.com. If anyone can offer any advise it would be greatly appreciated (any constructive criticism is also greatly appreciated).

bjk2007
13 Apr 2007, 06:28 PM
Search Engine Optimization (or SEO) is a science. There are several factors that affect where you land ranking systems like google's. Some are within your control, some aren't. I only know the basics myself, but that seems like what you need right now. Here's a list of the main factors involved.

1. Submit your site.
Sometimes your site won't appear in results since it hasn't even been crawled yet. Unless the spider finds your site, you'll never be indexed or show up. Search engines usually have a form you can use to submit your URL so that they will get scheduled for being crawled; otherwise you'll have to wait for them to find a link to your site.

2. Links to your site
The more links to your site from other sites, the more credible you look to the bot and the higher it pushes you. Trying to do link exchanges with other webmasters and getting listed on places is a good way to boost your rank. DO NOT attempt things such as mass amounts of links between sites you create, because if bots catch you doing this they often punish you for it.

3. Age of site
The longer your site has been up, the better. Unfortunately, this factor is out of your control.

There's several guides on the internet for SEO; do a search for them. Any specific questions you may have can be asked either here or in the SEO forum, where you may be able to have a higher chance of getting experienced help. See you around.