PDA

View Full Version : Please Review

brpyne
22 May 2007, 04:00 PM
www.mpcawards.com

Posted a site about a half a year ago. It was my first. I got some awesome insight! I did my best to improve them when I redid the site. I'd like to know what you guys think. Also, I'd like to know a good price to charge a business for something like this.

Also, they didn't have much content. It's a small business and they didn't want me to put their products on it. If anybody has any suggestions please tell.

Thanks much!

alvo
24 May 2007, 02:59 PM
People make a decision to stay and use a website or leave and go somewhere else within seconds of landing on the home page. For that reason it has to be immediately clear where they are and what the site is about. "MPC Awards" is too generic by itself to identify what the business is and one has to scroll down to see the product photos or read the text to know (and people don't read websites, they scan them looking for information they're interested in or a link to something that may be of interest). It would be helpful to add a tag line under the site logo that tells us what the site is. Something short (six to eight words maximum), perhaps Trophies, Plaques, Plastic Signs.

Drop the "family owned business" line from the heading as it isn't important to anyone except the company owners. It's fine where it is on the "About Us" page (although the number of years it's been family owned is different there).

The home page has "About Us" ... how is that a different subject than the "About Us" page? Shouldn't the two be together on one page? A better use of the home page would be to have a couple of photos of the typical products they produce. Seeing a trophy, a plaque and a plastic sign would go a long way in explaining, without words, what the company specializes in. It would also be better than the photo of the building. First off, the building is ugly, so it shouldn't really be featured, but more importantly it has nothing to do with the products one might be interested in purchasing. Stress the products, even if it's just in a generic way.

Drop the "Thanks for visiting our website!" line. Instead start with a statement about the company, what they do and how they stand out from others.

The hours and location page has no text. It's just one giant image (with no "alt" tag). Why is that? If the image doesn't load, there's no information available. One can't also copy the information if they want to add it to their contact list. The map image should be clickable to get driving information. If I don't know how to get there from where I am I have to now go to a map service and type in the address (since I can't copy-and-paste it).