PDA

View Full Version : database download automation

brokenshadows
21 Jun 2007, 08:59 AM
My company uses a portion of our website to gather service connect and disconnect requests. Daily I download a copy of the database, and replace it with a blank one so our customer service department can handle the requests and we don't have to worry about duplication. I'm trying to find a way to automate the following process:

1) I download the days copy of the database.
2) I upload a blank copy of the database to our webserver.
3) I rename the new blank database to use the same name as the old database so customers can enter information into it.
4) I send the database to customer service so they can handle the requests.

I'd like to be able to have someone in customer service be able to do this, but honestly, they're not to computer savvy... I'd like them to be able to go to the site, press a button and have it do for them what I do each morning. I'd need to find a way to make sure that the average surfer couldn't download it too though because the database contains sensitive information.

Here's hoping all of that made sense...any ideas?

Thanks
J

bjk2007
07 Jul 2007, 09:07 PM
What kind of database back end are you using?
If you're using MySQL, webyog (http://www.webyog.com) makes a program called SQLyog Enterprise which has scheduled synchronization capabilities which should be capable of doing what you're asking, although to be perfectly honest I've never messed around with that feature. It's still worth a look though. You can download a 30 day trial to test this out, and if it works than dropping $67 on a piece of software isn't bad at all.
Let me know how it goes.