PDA

View Full Version : Cool Fonts - 400 Fonts .com

Swefx
15 Jul 2007, 06:54 AM
Hey Everybody,

I'm proud to release my latest website 400 Fonts.

Website Name: 400 Fonts
Website Link: Cool Fonts (http://www.400fonts.com/)
About:
400 Fonts is a brand new font site. I hand picked 400 of the best looking fonts I could find. The sites features are:
-33 Font Categories
-400 hand picked quality fonts
-Custom Preview
-Rating System
-Top Rated Fonts
-Minimal Advertising (No Popups!)
-etc.

Check it out and tell me what you think. What it lacks, what you like about it, any bugs you find, etc.

Thanks! Hope you like the site!

alvo
15 Jul 2007, 11:49 AM
While the category classification is a good idea, the implementation is poor. Even after looking in the "Dingfont, Letterbat" category I'm not sure what a "Dingfont" or a "Letterbat" is. I also noticed as I looked through the categories that I kept finding fonts that I would have expected to be in one of the other categories. This means that if I were looking for a specific font I might not be looking in the right place. Also, if I'm looking for a font I know the name of I have to first figure out which category it's in and then look through the entire category as they aren't in alphabetical order (they are numbered, however, although that doesn't add anything of value to your users). I'd like to see a choice to view all fonts in alphabetical order and a search option to type int he name of the font I'm looking for, if I know it.

There are some fonts that it would be nicer to have a larger preview of the style in order to see clearer the intricacies of the design.

Fonts that are all upper case letters have previews with just one or two letters showing.

At the bottom it reads "All fonts are copyrighted by their respective owners" ... only fonts are copyrightable. The names of them may be trademarked, but the letterforms themselves can not be copyrighted. This is why we have Helvetica, Helios, Swiss, Arial and many more names for the same font style.

The biggest drawback I find to the site is the limiting the number of font choices I have. You have just "the best" fonts, but that a personal choice and may not be what I consider "the best." Without having the most free fonts, or close to that, I'll be going to sites like 1001 Free Fonts (http://1001freefonts.com) looking for stuff rather than yours. If you had a comparable selection with a better organization than they do, I'd switch to your site in an instant.