PDA

View Full Version : New

Myomy
23 Jul 2007, 07:10 PM
Hello everyone. I have no experience with web development. I am only 14, and have always been interested in the concept of social networking websites such as Digg.com etc., and have wanted to understand and maybe one day make one of my own creations. If possible, could someone tell me or give links to all, or some, of the program languages put into making a nice website. Thank You.

Wickham
24 Jul 2007, 01:23 AM
Hi

You can make your own webpages by using a coding program like Dreamweaver, but it's expensive, it does nearly all the work for you and produces unnecessarily complicated code because it has to cater for all posibilities and you may not learn much about coding.

You can also make code on Notepad from first principles. Start with a very simple page using HTML (or the slightly stricter XHTML which is essentially the same). Later add CSS which is just a way of separating out styles into a separate file so that edits which affect many pages can be done simply on one file. You can produce most webpages using just these.

Next in importance are Javascript and PHP which are quite complicated and enable many additional functions like links to databases, dynamic code like time and date functions, dropdown menus, etc. You should learn HTML (XHTML) and CSS first.

Sometimes it's useful to find a template (Google free webpage templates) and edit it. You learn a lot that way and can always go back to the working copy if you get into trouble. Find one that has fairly simple coding to begin with.

Use online tutorials, validators and webpages with the coding standards. See
http://www.wickham43.supanet.com/tutorial/links.html

Good luck.