PDA

View Full Version : Creating d'base of columns so any 2 appear upon request

csl
27 Aug 2007, 05:51 AM
Hi,
I'm sorry to post this to a general enquiry, but I'm entirely new to this process, and I don't want to limit my query too early. My question concerns a language phrase translation site that I want to create. I have already acquired all the data, which is some 120 phrases in 8 languages (listed in excel spreadsheet format, with phrases listed downwards, each column has phrases in the same order, but in a different language).

What I would like is to create a site where the visitor can choose any two languages, and the site will then pull up those two columns from its underlying database and display them side by side. The reason I want to do this as a database and not directly cut and paste each onto separate pages is the hope that in time the number of languages (ie columns) will grow, and so that adding on another column or changing internal content will happen automatically across all columns.

I'm afraid I'm pretty beginner with web stuff, especially anything that requires programing. I have created the initial format of the site, but I don't know how to create the tables. Various people have suggested sql or php, but i'm not sure quite how to start with these, or if these are actually what I want/need. What do you suggest??

Many thanks for any assistance you can provide,
Chris.