PDA

View Full Version : Same ol' now what question.

aikkid
30 Aug 2007, 12:05 PM
Except can someone give it to me in like "for dummies" form? I keep searching for help and I find jargon I have no clue about and scattered information.
I just bought a domain name. I have other plans for it in the future and hopefully I will then be able to afford somone else to do all the work on it. At the moment, I am trying to post a few things every now and then on it and possibly make a few bucks by doing some things here and there.
Now, how do I make it "live"? If this is a bought domain name, I thoght as long as u keyed in the exact website name in google search, or key words, it would pull up the website even if it is on the 100th page. Except my page is nowhere. This tells me it's not live. Did I just buy the rights to own that website name and nothing else? Or am I not understanding this thing. lol.. please don't laugh. I am trying to learn as I go. Is this where hosting comes in? I bought the site from godaddy. And is there a way to make it live without having to pay monthly payments? Or downloading software? Even if it is a monthly payment, maybe a low one, but I can't download any software on my pc right now. Now, the google add thing that you put on your website to get paid for the adds, says that it will give you an html code. Where do I put this code?????? godaddy has a starter page that allows you to enter text and headers and picture and such .. would it work on there?? or would it be stupid because the website has no hosting?????
should I go to school for this :)
thanks guys

Wickham
30 Aug 2007, 01:29 PM
First of all you have to use your domain name; that means creating a web page and getting it onto a host's server. If you only have the domain name then it looks as if you will also need a hosting service which will hold your webpages and put them on the internet.

It need only be a very simple page at first, perhaps just informing people what the site will be about and saying that it is under construction. The first page should be called index.html so when on your domain the url will be http://www.your-domain-name.com/index.html.

It looks as if the Godaddy starter page will OK for your first page and you should be able to put the Adsense code on it. Many people use the same provider for the hosting service as the provider of the domain name and it seems that Godaddy will do this for you.

See http://www.wickham43.supanet.com/tutorial/generaladvice.html#hosting for general information.

Google will take ages to list your page, especially if it doesn't have much on it. Google listing depends on how many people visit your site and what other websites have a link to it.

You need to use your domain name as I believe many domain name registrars will use unused domain names for advertising purposes.