PDA

View Full Version : Language Prefernce

mikecurrie
24 Oct 2007, 08:43 AM
When programming dynamic websites, what's your preference? Do you prefer PHP or ASP?
Personally, I have not used ASP, but I think now that I have to learn it, even though I am happy using PHP because it seems quite a dominant platform out there, and become more popular. If you had the choice, which one would you use and stick with?
Just thought it would be a nice topic, and i'm avoiding working :)

jd307
25 Nov 2007, 07:53 PM
I have used both ASP and PHP before. To be perfectly honest, I prefer PHP to ASP. Not for any real reason that I could write a topic on why I prefer PHP over ASP, but more of because from what I have seen there is more PHP out there than ASP. Also, where I have looked for books, etc. to learn the languages there seem to be 10 PHP books for every ASP book, so naturally I chose PHP. Also, my webhost was cheaper to get a Linux server with PHP and MySQL support than is was for a Windows server with ASP... so not a lot of choice there really lol.

I do admit though, the website that I programmed in ASP actually felt easier to do than doing the same in PHP. Whether that is just me or not I don't know?!