PDA

View Full Version : cPanel help

laciemn
06 Nov 2007, 12:21 AM
I've got the html part done but I have no idea how to actually put it on the web using cPanel. I tried uploading the html file and images it needed to display correctly through the file manager. When I put my html document on there, I realized it wouldn't be able to display the pictures from my documents anymore :|. I feel so dumb!

I have read some stuff about cPanel and it's all just too confusing, I don't understand anything about, well, anything.

Please don't call me a moron, I so already feel like one. Advice is appreciated:D. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section or something.

Wickham
06 Nov 2007, 01:11 AM
cPanel is just the file manager on your host's server; you need an ftp program to get files up there.

There are several free ones but I still use the ftp program in IE7 (Yes, IE does have some uses!). It allows batch uploading and it shows the dates of the files and the file sizes on the server so that you can check that the latest version actually got uploaded.

See
http://www.wickham43.supanet.com/tutorial/generaladvice.html#hosting for some advice. The IE method seems a very odd method but it's quick when you have done it once or twice.

Make sure that the folder structure on your computer matches the directory structure you set up via IE's ftp program in the host server or links won't work. A main folder on your computer matching the root folder on the host server (usually public_html) and sub-folders matching sub-directories.

Remember to use Edit Copy and Edit Paste as the mouse button copy/paste and the menu icons for copy/paste don't work with IE7's ftp program.