PDA

View Full Version : Is this reasonable?

rs1007
15 Nov 2007, 08:38 PM
A friend of mine is a college student studying web design. He seems to be pretty good at it based on the work I've seen him do in the past, plus he claims to have 100% is all his classes (which could very well be true).

Long story short, I mentioned to him my company wanted an online store and asked if he might me interested in the job. So after our conversation he just runs with it (even buying up the domain name we were considering and doing 14 hrs worth of work) without consulting me or my company. I feel fairly comfortable that I could get him the job, but putting my reputation on the line here is something I want to think about carefully. We had paid him an hourly wage for minor tech support issues in the past, and I think he assumed that's what he would get for the online store (again, because it wasn't discussed in advance). When we started adding that up it totally blew our budget. At that point I stopped him and told him not to go any further until we had a contract. So my questions are...

1) What is a reasonable amount of time to complete an online store? I can't imagine us having more that 100 products, and it hopefully be low maintenance, I will be providing all content. (He said about 60 hours)

2) Do you think this would take him longer b/c he is still learning (he refers to a tutor)? How much of a price break should be worked in, that considered?

3) If someone wouldn't mind taking a look at the website, I'd like to know if what is there is 14 hours worth of work? PM me for the address.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ANY ADVICE, I REALLY DON'T HAVE A CLUE!

iblastoff
15 Nov 2007, 10:30 PM
first of all what exactly is your budget for an online store?
and how are you judging his skills if you don't know anything about web design?

1) the # of products you will have will generally have nothing to do with how long it takes to build the site (minus the time it takes to import them)

2) well if he refers to a tutor then obviously it'd take him longer than someone who doesn't.