PDA

View Full Version : Random but Equal Banner Rotator

brownaddesign
12 Feb 2008, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I need a banner ad rotation system that allows you to rotate multiple banner ads (currently 5 ad placements) on the same page(s). The rotation will have to occur randomly, but must give an EQUAL amount of views. It would need an admin screen to manage the system and track clicks.

Does anyone know of an existing system I could purchase or download and implement. I needed it yesterday!!!

Thanks,
Neil Brown
Surry Publishing Group

alvo
12 Feb 2008, 05:09 PM
Why bother with random? If there are multiple people on line the loading of banners to any one person will appear to be random as scripts that rotate banners do so among all those accessing the scripts. Visitor A gets banner #1 ... visitor B gets banner #2 ... visitor A then goes to another page and is served banner #3 ... visitor C stops by and see banner #4 ... B goes to another page and gets banner #5 ... The banners are simply rotating through the sequence, but because different visitors are interupting the sequence to any one individual they appear to be random to each visitor. Much simpler to implement, otherwise you have to have a script that will generate a random pattern of banners and at the same time keep a count of which have been seen and which haven't so that each banner will be served once before any are served a second time, and that's needlessly complicated for little, if any, benefit.