PDA

View Full Version : Code to Save Webpage?

MordentCarnival
20 Feb 2008, 05:36 AM
Hello!

Ok, I'm hoping somebody can suggest something for this. Firstof, let me say that I develop sites in HTML, XHTML and CSS, and often augment my sites with Javascript or PHP as required.

I'm currently working on an online game, written in pure XHTML and CSS. The game area contains a certain area (in a div-tag) which includes a series of links to other levels, presented as small images.

Now here's where my skill and knowledge starts running thin...

As the players complete levels, these links should become null (i.e. the image remains but is no longer a link since that level has been finished).
If this were a linear game of one level following another, no problem, but I want my players to have the freedom to choose their level and complete them in any order they like. So I need something which, when they get to the end of say Level 3, will update the code on the Level 3 link and render it null.

That's problem one. Problem two.

These levels are so designed that gameplay may take days, or even weeks. I want to have some method by which my players can click something which will generate a save password or file or something for them. When they return to the game, they cna punch this password in and the website will rebuild the state of the levels area as it was when they saved.

I'd prefer not to use cookies, but will if I have to. I also considered linking everything to an SQL database on the server, but prefer not to require any logins or signups; the game should be compeltely open and free.

Soooo.....any bright ideas?