PDA

View Full Version : How to create links to internal pages?

GCDCWebgal
03 Mar 2008, 09:12 AM
What I want to do is enable secondary web pages on my website to be opened via links on my homepage or any other page on the website in such a way that when the viewer closes that page, they will be returned to the web page where they first clicked the link. I notice on other websites (using the IE7 browser) that, when I am at such a page (which I call an internal page), the leftward arrow in the blue circle at the top left of the browser screen is grayed out and the only way I can get out of the page is to click the X in the top right corner of the browser. This action returns me to the page where I was previously. This is what I want to do on my own website. Something to do with the <a href="...."> tag? I apologize for being so convoluted here. Am learning the terminology as I encounter it. Thank you.

MHoppal
06 Mar 2008, 10:29 PM
What I want to do is enable secondary web pages on my website to be opened via links on my homepage or any other page on the website in such a way that when the viewer closes that page, they will be returned to the web page where they first clicked the link. I notice on other websites (using the IE7 browser) that, when I am at such a page (which I call an internal page), the leftward arrow in the blue circle at the top left of the browser screen is grayed out and the only way I can get out of the page is to click the X in the top right corner of the browser. This action returns me to the page where I was previously. This is what I want to do on my own website. Something to do with the <a href="...."> tag? I apologize for being so convoluted here. Am learning the terminology as I encounter it. Thank you.

I'm not sure, as I don't know the language very well, but that sounds like something Javascript would be able to do. It has a function where you can open a link in a new window (maybe) and I believe it also has the ability to temporarily store session data (at least PHP does, so I'd imagine JS does too).

I'd get a friend who has a decent command of Javascript (it doesn't really seem that complex) to validate that. I just lack friends who know Javascript. You might post your question to a forum specific for the language, though. That might be easier. I don't believe plain HTML can do it.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Regards.