PDA

View Full Version : Headfirst Javascript book...opinions?

factotum218
03 Mar 2008, 08:44 PM
Currently I'm at the point of getting away from markup and into PHP and Javascript (possibly Java if I can wrap my head around it). I'm doing pretty well with PHP and finding online resources as a beginner.

A friend recommended the Headfirst into Javascript book to get a good start into Javascript. Anyone recommend this book THAT HAS READ IT?
Otherwise, any good online resources for a Javascript noob? "By example" walkthoughs usually work well with me.

for_si2003
04 Mar 2008, 05:49 AM
Currently I'm at the point of getting away from markup and into PHP and Javascript (possibly Java if I can wrap my head around it). I'm doing pretty well with PHP and finding online resources as a beginner.

A friend recommended the Headfirst into Javascript book to get a good start into Javascript. Anyone recommend this book THAT HAS READ IT?
Otherwise, any good online resources for a Javascript noob? "By example" walkthoughs usually work well with me.

If you are new to the javascript I will suggest you to take a look at the javascript tutorial at

http://www.referencedesigner.com/tutorials/js/js_1.php

You can also take a look at the www.w3schools.com

For books, I can recommend the following

- "Javascript the definitive guide" by David Flanagan
- "Javascript Bible" by Danny Goodman and Micheal Morrison
- "Professional JavaScript for Web Developers" by Nicholas C. Zakas (comes highly recommended)