PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Web Page

VBZeroPlus
08 Mar 2008, 04:10 PM
I know nothing about web design.

I have a VB server program that needs for its client applications to find and connect to it.

I think having a secure web site where my server can post its current IP address, and where the clients can access the site to find the IP they need to connect to would work well.

I don't care, and would prefer, if the web site showed absolutely nothing visually, so it would not tempt hackers.

Can anyone give me guidance on how to find or develop such a web site, and how or where to best have the site hosted. Also any other words of wisdom that might occur to anyone to send me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

alvo
08 Mar 2008, 11:16 PM
Password protect the site (or just a single page on the site) and you can have people connect and log in to see the content. btw, hackers use port scans and such to look for vunerabilities and having content accessible doesn't really make much difference to them as they're looking at the machine and not the content.

You can find scripts to password protect and manage clients passwords at http://hotscripts.com (a PHP script is probably the easiest to get up and running).