PDA

View Full Version : hi all, firstly hello and also please please help!!

bantlord
24 Mar 2008, 06:03 AM
Hi there, I am new to this forum as I only just started learning to build a website last night. I decided to just stick with Frontpage to build my website as it should serve me well for what I need my website to do. I have built the basic shell of my site and tried to upload it this morning. I am having big problems getting the site to load properly.

If you go to my site www.msvhex.co.uk, you will see the problem. Basically rather than loading the homepage, it simply comes up with the website file component list. If you then click index.html from the list, it loads up as I would expect it to and everything works as normal.

If anyone could shed some light as to what I have done wrong I would be really grateful.

Many thanks in advance.

Wickham
24 Mar 2008, 06:44 AM
The index.html file should load when someone just uses your domain name without a filename.

Are you sure that you have put your files in the correct directory on your host's server?

With my hosting service all the files go into the public_html folder (which is the root directory for my webpages but not the top level directory of the hosting service which has other directories for log files, etc).

I notice that if I click the public_html directory your website does show.

Save your files then delete them from the main directory and upload again to the public_html directory (or just move them) and see whether that makes a difference. Make sure you have backup copies.