PDA

View Full Version : Adding a web front end to an existing server

markyoung1984
28 Mar 2008, 03:43 PM
I have a server program written in C# that accepts socket requests from various disparate sites. Information is sent to the server, which it interprets, formats, stores in a database and finally displays a notification on screen, upon which a human operator can act (a kind of notification queue).

I would like the server to have a web based interface so multiple operators can use the system at the same time and wondered what the best way of doing this would be and what languages I should use. I know how to edit the database using PHP but I need the webpage to get real time updates from the server regarding unhandled notifications in the notification queue. What is the best way to do this?

Some people I have spoken to already say I should have a notifications table in the database (which the server program adds to) and then have a PHP script that continually accesses this table (therefore simulating real time updates). Others have said I could have a Java applet embedded in the page and use Java sockets to connect to the server and get real time information that way. I am really not sure. All opinions and options will be greatly appreciated.