PDA

View Full Version : automatically creating new html pages with content uploaded by users

radguy88
02 May 2008, 09:24 PM
Ok question is this, and I apologize if this isn't in the correct section - but I don't know where it really lives.

I have users uploading content, music, images etc-alike on myspace.

How do I take that content (thats added to my server) and 'automatically' populate an html page (like say from a basic 'artist page' html template)?

So basically I want artists to add content via an upload form I have, that content to go to my server (that all happens already) and THEN that same content images and music etc--get 'automatically' placed into an html template I provide. Where I would then go in and edit content on the page -but the music and images would already be in place.

thanks much!

dk01
03 May 2008, 10:02 AM
Welcome to the forums! Basically this is done via a language other than html. It is done with so called "server-side languages" which parse, or "populate" pages before they are sent to the browser. Some server-side languages are php, asp, and coldfusion. To use these languages you must have your website on a server that supports one of the languages. Most free web hosts do not support server-side languages while most paid hosts do. Personally I use php since I am hosted by dreamhost.

Once you have a server that supports php or one of the other languages, its time to build your system that will accept user contect. Building a system that accepts user information is usually a long process that takes months of security and bug testing. Instead of building their own systems many designers opt to use a free CMS (Content Management System) and then they just customize it to fit their website. There are many free CMS systems available but some of the most common are joomla, drupal, and wordpress. A google search of CMS systems will bring up many more options.

This is probably a ton of information so if you are looking for a place to start, decide on a language (again I recommend php) and learn the basics. Once you know the basics, install a CMS and customize it for your needs.

NOTE: Most CMS systems also use a database system called MySQL to store its data. Most paid webhosts also support this.