PDA

View Full Version : Converting static site to dynamic.

Webdummy
31 May 2008, 01:53 PM
Hi,

I currently have a static site that ranks fairly well with a number of key phrases. Especially specific phrases indigenous to my secondary and tertiary static pages. Though I have quite a number of products on the site now, there is potential to add hundreds more but this would obviously be horribly labor intensive. It seems clear that I need to create a dynamic site (some kind of user interface for adding new products would be great) because my supplier is always adding brands to their offering, and also since I need to make changes somewhat often.

However...it's my understanding that search engines like static sites better than dynamic ones. One thing I don't want to do is sacrifice my current rankings. Is there a way to make the transition without losing my ranking? Is losing ranking the price you pay to have an easier site to manage? Is it worth it? Can you have the best of both worlds? Can existing static URLs be kept if the site is converted to dynamic?

Thanks!

09 Jun 2008, 04:44 PM
If you have your meta tags created then don't worry about this issue of static vs dynamic and SEO. You should never stop improving your website just because you fear the SEO monster! There are soooooo many other ways to promote and market your website; SEO is but only method.

Yes you will need a database on the backend (server side) to have your dynamic website. How you go about that is another question. Hosting providers usually offer a lot of free applications that may suit your needs. You mentioned adding products so this sounds like a shopping cart solution perhaps?