PDA

View Full Version : started up new website - stuck!

myreales
12 Jun 2008, 09:27 AM
Hi there

Ok where do I start!!?

I purchased a website on a turnkey basis. A web designer designed and installed the website - then handed over the control panel to me.

I logged into the control panel, and wow...I have no idea where to start!!

My website looks like this:

www.myrealestatehomes.org

As you can see, the template is the only thing which has been done for me.

I need to add properties and add content and pictures.

I emailed the web designer and he said that he used PHP, and if i want to edit my website, i have to be careful as it could crash the site if i do something wrong!!

On my control panel, there is a button called "phpMyAdmin"

When I click this, uhh its allover the place.

Where do i edit the content of my website?

I thought it would have been alot easier than this.

Im going to have to familiarise myself with this now, but its just finiding the time i guess.

Please help :)

Thanks for reading xxx

Wickham
12 Jun 2008, 10:42 AM
phpMyAdmin is used to edit and browse databases like MySQL so if you haven't got a database you won't need to look at that, but it's very probable that you have got a database for the search facility.

In your control panel do you have a button called File Manager? This will open up your directory (folder) structure with all the files.

If you haven't been given a cd with all the files, download them onto your computer using an ftp program (IE6 and IE7 have an inbuilt ftp program) creating the same folder structure as the directories. Make a backup copy.

Then open any file with Notepad, even those with a .php filename extension, and edit them. Use online tutorials to learn HTML and CSS which are the basic things to learn to do basic editing of content and images. Don't edit the tags and codes if you don't understand them (anything inside <...> is code).

Upload the revised files using a ftp program. See http://www.wickham43.supanet.com/tutorial/generaladvice.html#hosting

See http://www.wickham43.supanet.com/tutorial/links.html for some links to tutorials and other essential websites.

I think you will need some help. It's a complicated website with search options that you will have to enter as well as basic text and images.