PDA

View Full Version : Question about a custom search for my site...Not word search though

jpf566
06 Aug 2008, 01:40 PM
OK well this may be in the wrong section of the forums but Im actually not sure what type of coding…or whatever is involved in what I would like to do. I Know a small amount of HTML/CSS using Dreamweaver..Just so u know my background

Here is what I want to do..

We have a website, It’s a furniture company website. I want people to be able to browse furniture by using something like a dropdown box…and picking the type of furniture they are looking for. And then I would like the site to generate suggestions based on what they choose with the dropdown box..and so forth..

Inn addition to furniture types I would like people to be able to search our Interior Designers by something like…clicking radio buttons.. (IE. Country Style….Modern Style…IDS certified. SO ON) and then any relevant designers would pop up…Hopefully I am making myself clear.

Is this a very complicated task? Where would I even begin? Thanks everyone

Littlened
28 Aug 2008, 03:35 PM
Ideally for something like that, you're going to need information to be stored in a database, then allow your visitors to search the database via your website.

For me it's not a complicated task, but with your background I doubt its something you could do quickly.

I'd recommend looking into trying to learn some PHP and MYSQL. Many many years ago, I started off reading a book about making a content managed website, this covered the basics of creating a database, inserting, deleting and editing information. Once you can do that, you've got some good foundations to build on.