PDA

View Full Version : Toggling Checkbox State ???

ToppDog
29 Sep 2008, 09:24 PM
Hi there. I am wondering if any experienced programmers can help a newbie with what I thought was going to be a simple project...

I am trying to create a web based quest/mission checklist template for an MMO that can be used by players internally on their own pc's (not hosted on any servers) so they can keep track of what each of their characters has completed. I would have created them as a Word or Excel doc, but they have too many limitations that made this impractical.

Everything works great except that I need to find a way to make the checkbox selections retain their status unless the user changes them. Since this is a means to view progress over long periods of time (months to years) there needs to be a way to display the site in the state the user left it last, hopefully without the use of cookies that can get accidentally deleted.

I was wondering if there was a way to program the checkboxes so that when clicked a script could toggle the initial state of the checkbox from unchecked to checked, and vice versa, so that the next time the user opens that page, the selections from the last visit would be visible. I've seen some info re: onclick commands, but I don't know if they could be used to essentially edit a page & save the changes.

That seems like the simplest solution to me, but I could be way off. Any suggestions?

Thanks.