PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to thank WDF...

djlebarron
15 Oct 2008, 11:20 PM
Once again, my brief background is that I built a site for my former business 8 or 9 years ago with just notepad-html and a few copy/pastes of simple Javascripts. It did, however, almost always hold 7 out of the top 10 results in Alta Vista for a good many major keywords and phrases pertaining to my business. For about 4 years. There was no google then.

I've become serious about learning all things web in the last two years and have been hacking away at a huge website.

After two years in the wilderness, it was time for me to have contact with other humans that shared the same interests.

This is the first forum I've registered with, though I've been picking brains and code via web searches for a while.

There seem to be a lot of good folks here. I feel like I've registered for classes by registering with WDF. With some of the questions asked that I don't know the answers to, I make it an "assignment" by looking for the information that will let me figure out the answer myself. I make my own example, and see if my completed "homework assignment" is what the person asking the question was looking for, and if it actually works. I try to get-R-done before someone answers the question for the original poster. Most of the time I don't post my completed "homework assignment" in the thread because of possible cross-browser issues, etc.

I do post answers when I'm pretty sure of them, like how do I do this in a photo-editor...

The site review catagory is especially enjoyable, since I try to create working examples of changing the sites to what I've suggested. I've uploaded and posted the link for a few of those examples. Once again, just another completed "homework assignment".

I seem to be learning at an 'excelerated' rate since I registered.

The forum has a feeling of fairness, hospitality, and professionalism.

Thank you to the hosts and thank you to the community.

David Bowley
16 Oct 2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write that post, it's really appreciated. I think we're finally starting to get somewhere with building up the community here - we're defeating the spammers and we're having a good time - I'm smiling :)