PDA

View Full Version : New to WebDev, despise the net, help!

Ingenieurs
25 Oct 2008, 08:12 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm new here, I'm new to web development, I don't even like the internet (bits of it anyway). I'm happy with Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya and any other 3D app, but the idea of web dev scares the crap out of me.

So, with that being said I am of course the perfect person to build a website for my friend! ;-) I can't get out of this one, he needs two sites and I owe him.

The site will be Flash based (I'm happy with AS3 also) but one section requires something that is messy in Flash. He needs a page which has a calender on it that shows when his holiday home is already booked, and when it's free. This bit he wants to update himself, he wants to be able to log in and click on the dates to change them to booked and vice versa). Now, I can do that in Flash but I'd have to update it for him, this has to be updated by him using nothing more than a password and some clicks on radio buttons or something.

So, I'm hoping you can help me by steering me in a direction. I have no idea what to search for, I guess it's a calender app and the password thing is easily possible? Would the server type effect this?

Thanks in advance, A.

:-)

sebastionriot
26 Oct 2008, 11:08 AM
Well I would develop a custom application but in your case being you like the design aspect more you can get a free php app for calenders and such. PHP has a lot of free stuff out there.

Server type is an issue, you probably want to use a Linux server if you go with php and if you go with asp or .net apps you want to go with a windows server. You could put either on both types however hosting companies usually set restrictions and don't make that possible. Also if you are going to use a database your going to need to be careful in researching what they actually let you do with your database. Sometimes the database will not let you have the control you need to do what you want.

Director of Web Development