PDA

View Full Version : Hi everybody! A dedicated and honest man searching for help.

OZSA
27 Oct 2008, 02:32 PM
Hey guys, I used to build sites yeas ago but the time passed and I need help but this time I will spend at least daily 5-6hours on learning html and css, because the rest of the day I work as an autocad designer. Life is hard, money is living, and I have a chance to make use of my actual html,css knowledge, but I'm thinking seriously to master them. First of all, I have a site that I have to remake, because at first sight the html code seemed a bit bad...at 2nd sight, it was horrible, (it was made with an adobe slicer) and somehow I want to make the source pure and clean. I'm searching for someone who knows what "pure and clean" html+css coding means, and who wants to help me. Im confused about the html or xhtml too, don't know which language to start using, I want to do clean sites, (officially clean by the w3 validator, 0 errors) and I need some tips, links in the beginning. I searched at w3 about the html transitional and xhtml difference but to be honest I can't understand why is xhtml better, and I really don't wanna learn languages in vain, as I saw there are many versions of css aswell.. I need help and I'm offering help, till my limits ends. Once more, what html type, what reference to you, how to find the clean codes, is it ok to create using dreamweaver, can i revamp a sliced page to make it clean code? also, my current work (i have to remake it, www.patriciachifor.ro) has one plus line in firefox, and it is good in explorer...any reason why ?

Thanks in advance.
Respect

Wickham
27 Oct 2008, 04:10 PM
The extracts below are saying that XHTML is for special XML functions and is NOT a replacement for HTML. HTML 4.01 should be used now and HTML 5.0 is coming in due course, so stiick to HTML.

Try to learn HTML and CSS from online tutorials like http://www.w3schools.com/ (they converted a lot of their site to XHTML 1.0 a few years ago when we all thought XHTML was going to replace HTML, but we were all wrong so try to learn from the HTML bits of the site).

Draft Recommendation October 2008
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/ asks for comments

and this needs studying in detail:-

HTML 5
A vocabulary and associated APIs for HTML and XHTML
Editor's Draft October 2008

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/

Extracts:-

There are various concrete syntaxes that can be used to transmit resources that use this abstract language, two of which are defined in this specification.

The first such concrete syntax is "HTML5". This is the format recommended for most authors. It is compatible with all legacy Web browsers. If a document is transmitted with the MIME type text/html, then it will be processed as an "HTML5" document by Web browsers.

The second concrete syntax uses XML, and is known as "XHTML5". When a document is transmitted with an XML MIME type, such as application/xhtml+xml, then it is processed by an XML processor by Web browsers, and treated as an "XHTML5" document. Authors are reminded that the processing for XML and HTML differs; in particular, even minor syntax errors will prevent an XML document from being rendered fully, whereas they would be ignored in the "HTML5" syntax.

Extracts:-

This specification is intended to replace XHTML 1.0 as the normative definition of the XML serialization of the HTML vocabulary. [XHTML10]

While this specification updates the semantics and requirements of the vocabulary defined by XHTML Modularization 1.1 and used by XHTML 1.1, it does not attempt to provide a replacement for the modularization scheme defined and used by those (and other) specifications, and therefore cannot be considered a complete replacement for them. [XHTMLMOD] [XHTML11]

Thus, authors and implementors who do not need such a modularization scheme can consider this specification [HTML 5.0] a replacement for XHTML 1.x, but those who do need such a mechanism are encouraged to continue using the XHTML 1.1 line of specifications.