PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial Videos Everywhere

djlebarron
01 Nov 2008, 12:31 AM
I just recently looked into free tutorial videos on the web and I'm amazed. There must be thousands of them. I sat tonight listening to my Pandora Radio in the background watching videos. There are the good, the bad and the just plain ugly. I'm even switching off to watching stuff I already know just to catch the occasional gem that I wasn't aware of and to try to anticipate what the author will do next.

I've also seen that many major universities have free video series' on anything from weaving to quantum physics. As an article said, "You won't get a degree, but you'll know the subject."

I did notice that many of the web tutorial videos jump around the subjects in different orders. Many of the authors presume. It's an easy thing to do when you've known your subject for years. In other words, If I were a complete beginner and didn't already know much of the content, or at least the concepts, I'd be confused in no time. Who was it that said that in a perfect world, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else? But... for the beginner or intermediate, there's a wonderland of free video out there.

jonnytuna
17 Nov 2008, 11:40 PM
I just recently looked into free tutorial videos on the web and I'm amazed. There must be thousands of them. I sat tonight listening to my Pandora Radio in the background watching videos. There are the good, the bad and the just plain ugly. I'm even switching off to watching stuff I already know just to catch the occasional gem that I wasn't aware of and to try to anticipate what the author will do next.

I've also seen that many major universities have free video series' on anything from weaving to quantum physics. As an article said, "You won't get a degree, but you'll know the subject."

I did notice that many of the web tutorial videos jump around the subjects in different orders. Many of the authors presume. It's an easy thing to do when you've known your subject for years. In other words, If I were a complete beginner and didn't already know much of the content, or at least the concepts, I'd be confused in no time. Who was it that said that in a perfect world, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else? But... for the beginner or intermediate, there's a wonderland of free video out there.

Before posting my (first ever) question on this board I went searching for a decent tutorial or how to write-up..

I was overwhelmed with biased hits which are trying to sell you something and others which had alot of detail but didn't summarize what I was looking for into options and a direction..

Am still trying to figure out what makes sense for me in regard to options for getting an online store up and running.

I figured I'd post on this board for an unbiased opinion on which direction to go (and then some help on what I should be studying up on to move forward given my skillset and ambition)..

Jon